Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hula Hoops and Green Bananas

I didn't know what to expect when it came to being accepted into the family.


Lifelong process would be an easy description. It's one thing living with, listening to, and talking with these new siblings and parents. It's another thing understanding why they say and do the things they do. It is "boka-teet"-"normal" to misunderstand. Argh.



My Thai mom looks terrifying when she is talking on the phone. Reasons being- she uses the earpiece instead of her cellphone so I can't tell when she is chatting away... She has this interesting habit of staring directly at me when she is talking with someone and she is always having to yell into that tiny bit of plastic. Take away this bit of technology and you have a beautiful lady who loves to be a kid when she has the chance. Basically whenever I step into the room=Awesome!


I always eat dinner with my mom. If I don't it is because my night revolves around doing my laundry or talking with my family back in the U.S. of A. If we are feeling particularly free and giddy we tend to do 4 things. Hula-hoop, cook peeled green bananas in a sugary syrup, watch the daily Thai drama, and/or go and rearrange/prune/hang my mom's collection of over 400 orchids. This collection is a year old.

Tonight I went to the movie theater at Big-C. I skipped across the sidewalk and realized I should be skipping all the time. There are so many of my habits which I haven't introduced to Thailand. I recieved 4 hugs and initiated 3 hugs today. A total of 7 hugs. Very Healthy. Made my Thai teacher laugh at my pronunciation of...well...everything. Finished my Thai final and ran out the door. Ate just enough to make myself full. Wished green apples in Thailand were tart. Thought about everyone at home. Wanted a bowl of cornflakes. And am currently up past my bedtime.

3 days ago I asked my Thai mom for advice. HUGE STEP! I won't tell you on what, but the way she answered turned on a new light in our relationship. Definitely for the better.

Papaya tastes like jasmine. Green bananas are very sticky; definitely wear gloves when cutting them. You can make grasshoppers out of leaves. "Doll/Statue" in Thai is "Duk-kada."

1 comment: